Recently added listings
Today In History
Here are some interesting facts ih history happened on 20 August.
- President Andrew Johnson formally declared the Civil War over
- German forces occupied Brussels Belgium during WW I.
- Britain opened its offensive on the Western front during WW I
- US's 1st coml radio 8MK later WWJ Detroit began daily broadcasting
- Dumont's 1st TV Broadcast for home reception NY city
- Leon Trotsky assassinated in Mexico City by agents of Stalin
- British PM Churchill said of the Royal Air Force `Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.'
- Dimout regulations implemented in SF
- Russia publicly acknowledges a test detonation of a hydrogen bomb.
- 1st airplane to exceed 1800 mph - HA Hanes Palmdale Ca
- Hundreds killed in anti-French rioting in Morocco & Algeria
- Republicans convene at the Cow Palace
- Senegal gains independence from France
- LBJ signs an anti-poverty measure totaling nearly $1 billion.
- 650 000 Soviet-block troops invade Czechoslovakia
- Viking 1 launched toward orbit around Mars soft landing
- Voyager 2 launched for fly-by of Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune
- UN Security Council votes 14-0 US abstains condemning Israel's declaration that all of Jersualem was its capital.
- A mail carrier in Edmond Okla. shot 14 fellow workers dead